The project was designed to enhance the ability of the Kosovar authorities to use public resources effectively, efficiently and transparently through strengthened public expenditure management.
Specifically, the project aimed to:
• Enhance the skills of staff in the budget departments of the participating budget organizations to produce well prepared budget submissions linked with policy priorities through the integration of international and local consultants into those departments;
• Build capacity by training and enhancing skills among the budget analysts in the Budget Department of the Ministry of Finance and Economy (MFE) to identify the strengths and weaknesses of budget submissions, evaluate the submissions against proposed results and outcomes, and give useful feedback to budget organizations;
• Establish joint implementation task forces of MFE budget analysts and their counterparts in PISG (Provisional Institutions of Self Government) and UNMIK budget organizations to improve processes for budget formulation, execution, and analysis;
• Develop recommendations to changes in procedures in the preparation and analysis of annual budget submissions if analysis indicates need;
• Assist those budget organizations in addressing high-priority topics which have major impacts on their budget processes and decisions;
• Make recommendations concerning the linking of the strategic policy-making (MTEF, KDSP, etc) and budgeting departments of budget organizations.