In order to assist the implementation of the Civil Service Law of 1998 and to make the public administration more effective, transparent and professional, the project’s objectives were:
• To improve the legal framework for Civil Service;
• To strengthen the capacity of the Department of Civil Service Affairs under the President to manage the implementation of the Civil Service Law and its implementing regulations;
• To strengthen the capacity of the Institute for Improving the Qualifications of Civil Servants to train civil servants.
Specific outputs included:
Civil Service Department (CSD):
• A revised civil service law, together with necessary implementing regulations, submitted to the Tajik government and parliament;
• A decree on the CSD to amend its organisational structure, and strengthen its powers;
• Detailed post and task descriptions for all staff and units of the CSD;
• A CSD working procedures manual providing detailed guidelines on the fulfilment of the Department’s functions;
• The staff of the CSD enabled to perform their functions to appropriate standards of professionalism and effectiveness.
Institute for Improving the Qualifications of Civil Servants:
• The key disciplines to be taught by the Institute and its priority audience are identified; a curriculum and training materials are prepared;
• Enhanced training capabilities acquired by IICQS teaching staff;
• Expanded organisational capacities of the Institute resulting from improved marketing of its services and more effective communication with its clients.