The project consisted of meeting the following objectives:
• Quantify the energy potential and costs of a variety of bio-energy supply options;
• Assess Moldova’s potential biomass supply compared to total national energy demand. This entailed analysis of the inventory of existing biomass boilers, the potential to meet new needs through the installation of biomass boilers, and the potential to retrofit existing energy production facilities to burn biomass;
• Recommending major and detailed changes to the legal and institutional framework that will impact the extent of future biomass development in Moldova, as well other factors that may influence the competitiveness of biomass as an energy resource;
• Evaluate the potential environmental, trade and employment impacts of biomass production and use in Moldova under three alternative development scenarios reflecting the range of likely possibilities over the next decade;
• Review biomass technology options which have potential to be used for energy production.