In order to strengthen capacity in the Kosovo Ministry of Economy and Finance (MFE) and to implement systems and procedures to ensure better control of public spending, the specific objectives of the project were:
• To help the MFE, line ministries, and municipalities to put in place a coherent Public Investment Programme that is fully integrated into the MTEF, budgetary processes and Government Strategy;
• To assist the Provisional Institutions of Self Government (PISG) and MEF to create the necessary institutions and processes to implement a consolidated budgetary process, both within the MEF and between the MEF and other institutions especially the line ministries;
• To help the MEF to develop an integrated budgetary process that identifies and prioritises coordinated investments in public infrastructure and services, funded from the KCB , donor co-financing and possible IFI lending and which adheres to strategic priorities adopted by the Government, including the PISG’s socio-economic development strategy;
• To support the MEF, and other ministries and spending agencies where appropriate, to review, evaluate, and assist the reformulation, where necessary, of the development strategies and priority programmes of the PISG Ministries and other spending agencies;
• To strengthen the institutional capacities of the MEF by training staff and counterparts in other ministries and spending agencies.