The general objective of the project was to support the development of a new approach to extracurricular activities in the schools designed to improve the social competence of children and teachers, reduce stereotyping and strengthen the competence of children to participate in the development of school and community life. From this overall objective, a number of specific objectives were derived that aimed at:
1. To improve the conditions for extracurricular activities in 20 selected schools for children of various ethnic backgrounds, ages and genders, both in the schools and in the community;
2. To create a friendly and participatory approach to children, that will increase their motivation for joint participation in school and community activities. To increase the skills of teachers in stimulating and supporting pupils in running their own projects, thus increasing their social competence and capacity for action;
3. To train a group of young professionals with appropriate academic backgrounds (in e.g. psychology, sociology, pedagogy and sport) to engage in participatory extracurricular activities with children and adolescents;
4. To establish functional links and networks among the schools engaged in the project, and between the schools and the community;
5. To improve conditions for school children in the schools as well as in the community by the implementation of at least sixty action projects initiated by children in the twenty selected schools;
6. To recommend to the Ministry of Education and Science a methodological approach that facilitates children and teachers in creating participatory, extracurricular activities in the schools in the country.