The overall objective of the project is to assist the Ukrainian Government in implementing the coal sector policy reform through execution of the following activities:
Institutional Strengthening in the Ukrainian Coal Mining Industry:
• Provide assistance to the Ministry of Coal Industry (MoIC) to build up adequate structures and qualified personnel to optimise management of the coal mining sector and in particular fulfil the obligations under the Restructuring Plan;
• Provide training to various stakeholders to prepare them to the challenges of the restructuring plan.
Master Plan for the Development of the Ukrainian Coal Industry:
• Support the MoCI to develop an integrated Master Plan for the restructuring of the coal mining industry taking into account the role of the coal sector in the Ukrainian energy strategy.
Social Policy: Setting up a Social Development Fund:
• Assistance to the MoCI to conceive adequate tools, measures and policies to fulfil the social obligations arising out of the coal restructuring process including setting up a Social Development Fund and training qualified personnel for fund management.
Improving Occupational Safety:
• Support MoCI and other stakeholders to improve the safety standards substantially by developing a pilot scheme for the further development of occupational safety standards and providing technical assistance to prepare innovative pilot projects in the field of safety.
Catalogue of Contaminated Sites:
• Provide assistance to MoCI with a comprehensive overview of contaminated sites (catalogue of contaminated sites), adequate proposals on how to rectify them and training for remediation specialists