The duration of the project will be 36 months. Its overall objective is to improve the security of energy supply in the region as well as in the EU by fostering the integration of the energy markets between all the PCs and progressively to converge with that of the EU.
The purpose of this contract is to contribute to the regional integration of gas markets of the PCs through infrastructure development, legislative and regulatory harmonisation, harmonisation of technical standards, as well as the transfer of know-how.
The project will work around four components:
- Component I: Studies for Infrastructure Development;
- Component II: Legislative Harmonisation and Regulatory Reform;
- Component III: Harmonisation of Technical Standards;
- Component IV: Transfer of know-how.
The results needed for the achievement of the project purpose are:
- Plans required by this project on infrastructure development, particularly AGP extension plans, are completed;
- Progress is achieved in legislative and regulatory harmonisation in the energy sector amongst PCs and the EU;
- Progress is made towards the harmonisation of technical standards and specifications among PCs’ gas networks and with that of the EU;
- Progress is made towards an efficient and sustainable management of the gas sector in the PCs;
- Cooperation is developed with other energy-related initiatives/projects supported by the EU, EU-Member states and other donors in the Mashreq and neighbouring region.