The overall objective of the project is to support the Georgian Ministry of Justice in conducting and implementing the criminal justice reform programme, reforming the probation system and establishing a legal aid department.
In order to achieve this goal the project will implement a series of activities combined to form two major components:
Component 1: Capacity Building in the Ministry of Justice to ensure implementation of the Strategy of the Reform of the Criminal Legislation of Georgia:
- Strengthen the capacity of Ministry to coordinate and implement on behalf of the government criminal justice reform in Georgia: an Action Plan will be prepared, training activities designed and conducted and an awareness raising campaign will be conducted to inform the public about the priorities and objectives of the criminal justice reform
- Ensure the efficiency of the probation system and it’s alignment with the reform priorities: build the administrative, HR and financial capacities of the new probation department, conduct training and raise awareness about the probation system
- Develop the Legal Aid Service: set up and coordinate free legal aid clinics, ensure the training and accreditation of legal aid providers, build the capacities of the legal aid department and raise awareness of the public about the possibility of obtain free legal aid.
Component 2: Strengthen capacities of the Ministry of Justice to implement international obligations
- Strengthen the capacities of the international legal relations departments of the MOJ, namely the Service of Representation of the State before the ECHR, Public International Law Department, and Private International Law Department,
- Capacity Building for the Civil Registry Agency.