The overall objective is to improve the enforcement of copyrights and neighbouring rights in Albania so as to contribute to the fulfilment of the conditions of the SAA. The purpose of the project is to strengthen the operational capacity of the Albania Copyright Office (ACO), to ensure legal approximation with EU standards and best practice and to raise and build awareness on copyrights and neighbouring rights.
The project is based on the following three components:
Component 1: Capacity Building and Consolidation of Skills within the ACO
- To strengthen the operational capacity of the ACO by supporting its staff to implement current laws, and by improving the cooperation between stakeholders. This includes developing a refined mission statement for the ACO, internal directives on competencies and a training manual for in-house staff.
- The project will also focus on publishing the first ACO’s annual statistical review and preparing the ACO for ISO Certification. Models on alternative means of financing and structural set - up of the ACO. Reports will be drafted to summarise the ACO’s needs (in particular those for cooperation with other government bodies and agencies, such as the Council for Radio and Television) and copyright infringement matters to be discussed with stakeholders most importantly governmental entities.
- An ACO IT assessment needs will be developed and the ACO IT specifications for additional equipment will be developed.
Component 2: Legal work regarding EU standards and European best practice
- This component aims at ensuring proper transposition of EU laws into Albanian legislation and to upgrade legislation in accordance with European best practice on intellectual property and copyrights.
- The project shall prepare and assist the ACO for performing such tasks and shall provide assistance and relevant know how to do so.
- Reports and analysis on compliance of Albanian law with EU laws will be drafted, as well as reports on necessary or useful legal upgrades (primary legislation, secondary legislation, bye-laws). In addition to the reports, draft legislation will be prepared based on European best practice.
Component 3: Dissemination of Information and Know-How
- The aim of this component is to build awareness on copyrights and neighbouring rights amongst the users of works protected by copyrights or neighbouring rights, right holders, their representatives and the general public. This includes the preparation and dissemination of training materials and manuals.
- An awareness building and information campaign perceivable in all relevant mass media will be prepared and distributed by means of advertising platforms across Albania.
- Training to State authorities, the Judiciary, the judicial profession and copyright collecting societies will be provided.